Mars Reel is a independent basketball-focused national media outlet and multimedia website covering “hoops” from high school to the pros. The company is seeking a staff writer position to conduct interviews with high school, collegiate, pro athletes, and celebrities on topics related to basketball. They have an combined viewer and subscriber outreach or approximately 1.3 Million users so all candidates’ work will receive valuable exposure to a wide audience. Applicant’s will interview athletes and celebrities and in some cases make initial contact themselves with appropriate personnel to facilitate interviews.
Additional information about the ideal candidate
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Research and find candidates to interview for the website.
- Conduct interviews via phone or email with semi-pro, collegiate and professional athletes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Superb online research skills and ability to find interviews that will lead to headlines
- Relentless, no-quit attitude to finish the task at hand
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, and possess an unwavering work ethic
- Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, excellent time-management, overcomes obstacles
- Ability to adapt to change, is open to new ideas and capable of thinking outside the box
- Listens and values the opinions of others, valuable listening skills will be crucial when interviewing athletes
- Acts on opportunity, generates new ideas, practices self-development
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision, accurate with gathering information
- Respectful with individuals while covering stories.
- Strong organizational skills and able to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, experience with Wordpress preferred
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.