West Virginia University
Graduate Assistantship for Mountainlair Programs and Special Events
• Mountainlair Student Union provides West Virginia University with a full range of services, programs, and other amenities.
• West Virginia University’s approximate 32,000 student enrollment attends classes on the Downtown and Evansdale campuses. Mountainlair is located on the Downtown Campus with a daily average traffic count of over 33,000 users.
• Mountainlair is considered the hub for student activities, student programming, and meeting/dining facilities.
• The 215,000 square-foot facility has a staff of over 20 and a student workforce of over 100.
• The Assistantship offers a learning experience in student union and programming management.
• The position will be required to work 20 hours per week occasionally working evening and weekend hours for event orchestration. The incumbent will work with the Senior Programming Administrator, Special Events Coordinator, Programming Interns, and other Administrative Staff upon request.
• The position’s main responsibilities will be to serve as the Co-Chairperson of our WVU Mountaineer Week Committee. This position will lead a group of 50+ students and over 15 committees to orchestrate our Mountaineer Week Program. The incumbent will also work with supervisor on the Student Affairs Hall of Fame Program, WVU Faculty/Staff Talent Show, Student Affairs Battle of the Bands, and other unit programming and special events.
• The position also works with Supervisor on maintaining the Mountaineer Mascot’s Travel for the fiscal year.
• The position is considered to be a part of the Mountainlair Management Staff and will be required to attend the weekly Mountainlair Management Staff Meetings.
• The candidates should be pursuing advance degree work, preferably in Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Journalism, Communications Studies, Integrated Marketing Communications, or a related field.
• A minimum overall grade-point average of 3.0 must be maintained.
• Applicants must currently hold a Bachelor’s Degree.
• Applicants must possess excellent oral, written, communication, and organizational skills.
• Applicants must have a demonstrated ability to plan effectively and efficiently, meet deadlines, and simultaneously monitor the development of many projects.
• Applicants must have experience in working with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff.
• Salary of $12,400 (FY 2013-14) for 9 months.
• Full-time (Fall and Spring Semester) WVU Graduate Student Tuition Waiver.
• Reappointment for a following academic year will be determined by work performance and approval by supervisor.
• Maximum of a two-year appointment.
• This position requires an individual to dress in business attire on a normal basis. A Mountainlair polo shirt and slacks are an acceptable exception on occasion. Dress may vary depending on specific duties/events for the day.
• The work schedule may vary based on the operational needs of the Mountainlair Programming Unit. Twenty hours per week are required but additional hours may be necessary based on programming needs. The appointment will begin one week prior to the start of the Fall Semester (August 16, 2013), and will work for nine consecutive months.
• With support from the Senior Programming Administrator, Special Events Coordinator, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, Vice President for Student Affairs, and other Mountainlair Administrative staff, this position will provide support to Student Affairs programs and special events including program development, goal setting, contract negotiation, event coordination, publicity, budgeting, and assessment.
• This position will be responsible for developing, administering, and analyzing assessments for all programs and special events assigned to unit.
• This position will assist with other duties and responsibilities assigned to the Mountainlair Programming Unit.
Please send via snail mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to:
Sonja L. Wilson, Senior Programming Administrator
West Virginia University, Mountainlair Student Union
P.O. Box 6437, Morgantown, WV 26506
Deadline for Applications: April 1, 2013