The Charleston West Virginia Convention & Visitors Bureau is seeking a full-time communications/PR manager to coordinate the development and delivery of the CVB’s messages through traditional and new media channels, including actively identifying, pursuing and securing editorial coverage for the Charleston tourism experience and the CVB. Strong social media skills are required. This position also will oversee special projects as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops an awareness program; contacts travel writers, editors and related media associates and solicits editorial coverage selling the destination as a leisure and convention destination.
- Maintains database of travel writers, editors and related media associates based on interests.
- Maintains press kits and fulfills requests.
- Maintains database of media outlets for news releases.
- Writes and edits press releases and copy for a variety of Bureau publications; may work with advertising agency on copy writing for all collateral materials for Bureau (i.e. visitors guide, destination guide and targeted materials).
- Develops a calendar for releasing information on special events and campaigns.
- Reports publicity activity and value; maintains story/clipping file on all media stories related to the destination.
- Contacts local organizations and provides education on ways of using the Bureau for promotion efforts.
- Monitors the development, quality and quantity of printed materials.
- Four-year degree from an academic institution in public relations, journalism, marketing or communications.
- Excellent writing skills including a command of grammar, usage and vocabulary
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with media relations
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Charleston CVB, 200 Civic Center Dr., Charleston, W.Va., 25301; or by email to Jama.Jarrett@charlestonwv.com by June 30, 2012.